The latest PregaNews ad, Maternity Benefit (Amendment) Act and Kareena Kapoor have managed to successfully make ‘working mothers’ the new cool topic of discussion. As a new mother, I can’t thank them enough. We all know motherhood is blissful and all that, however this post isn’t about celebrating the toughest job in the world.
I would like to draw your attention to interesting reactions people have towards new mothers. The cute, innocuous words/remarks uttered can have totally different interpretations for new mothers. Listing down some of my favourite ones. Let’s try to see them from a new mommy’s lens.
Disclaimer: I might have been guilty of the below mentioned points as well at some point of life, so feel free to judge
- You have not changed as a person – In my head, I am actually responding to this with ‘I popped out a baby and not my brain’, however in real life, it is just a gentle smile.
- You have lost/gained so much weight – After a life changing event, it is best not to put additional guilt on a new mommy.
- How is the baby managing without you? – Ask this at your own risk. I cried buckets on my first day at work post maternity leave, every time someone asked me about my baby.
- Your baby does not look like you – Good for her as long as she inherits my traits or good habits. Also, you should become a face reader.
- Must be tough managing a baby and a job – Yes, it is. Just don’t add to the misery if you can’t help.
- You look tired – Oh yes! Try waking up 4 or 5 times at night for feeds followed by early morning play with a hyperactive baby and then driving to work on time.
- Your baby looks thin/fat – Who appointed you on the panel of a beauty pageant or are you a living weighing scale? As long as my doc is fine with baby’s growth, her vital stats shouldn’t really be anyone’s concern.
- How can you trust anyone else with your baby? – Can’t help if you have trust issues, I try to do the best I can to get to work and earn a livelihood.
- Leaving early? – Yes, coz I walked in early while you were still figuring out your attire for the day. I arrive on time and try to wrap up on time as there’s a hungry soul waiting for my return. Too bad if you don’t manage your time well.
- Did you have a boy/girl? What’s his/her name? (more than once) – Don’t bother, most likely you won’t remember. Also, I call my baby with 10 different names :D Might be a good exercise for memory test.